In New Zealand, it is estimated there are approximately 20,000 sufferers of ME / CFS (1). ME/CFS is thought to afflict around 150,000 in the UK, and over one million in the US. The economic cost to each family with a sufferer has been estimated to be in the region of NZ$35-45,000 per year. (2)
According to most doctors and the majority of information available on the internet, ‘there are no specific ‘curative’ treatments’’ for sufferers of M.E, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), post-viral fatigue and associated disorders.(3)
And yet in the early 1990’s a medical doctor in the UK, Dr David Mickel, developed a mind-body therapy specifically for these conditions which has proven to be highly effective and requires no medication. To date over 5,000 patients have reported full recovery using this easy-to-learn and simple-to-use technique. Once mastered, it is used to prevent illness for the rest of one’s life.
So why is it, when ‘proof-in-the-pudding’ solutions are already here, thousands of patients are sent home each year in New Zealand in debilitating pain and fatigue, to languish on their couches for months and years, when they could be well in a number of weeks or months?
ME / CFS specialist Kim Knight, aka ‘the Kiwi Health Detective’ and New Zealand’s only Mickel Therapist, says the public and medical system are slow to pick up on new solutions, especially if they do not ‘fit in’ with the current healthcare paradigm.
Knight has been working for the past 9 years from her Auckland-based clinic helping hundreds to regain their health after being told there was no hope. She has witnessed clients with symptoms of 20 years recover in as little as 2 weeks, although most people need about 3-6 months.
Her work in this field earned her finalist for NEXT New Zealand Woman of the Year in 2011, and a nomination for the Auckland DHB Health Excellence Award in 2012, and yet her work and name remain relatively unknown in New Zealand.
“When you understand what causes a problem, you can fix it. Mickel Therapy, and other newer health methods over the last decade (4), have discovered what causes ‘dis-ease’ (a clue there) and what the body needs to recover health, and all without drugs. The body is the ultimate self-healing machine and once we isolate and resolve the core issues, it will self-repair” says Knight.
In Knight’s experience there are 3 core life-changing concepts which people must understand if they are to fully recover from chronic illness:
- That physical symptoms of extreme pain and fatigue are not normally caused by physical phenomena – the cause is to be found at a mind-emotional level
- The propensity for illness is set up by the age of 7 years, much of it the result of childhood trauma and unconscious conditioning
- The ability to communicate our feelings honestly, set clear boundaries and make ourselves a priority in life are essential if we are to reduce symptoms
When clients come to work with Kim, they may initially want to just ‘get rid of symptoms’, but very quickly they discover they are going to have to address their personal habits, beliefs, thoughts and behaviours in order to clear illness.
Knight travels frequently travels to Australia to speak at health expos and medical conferences, visiting Melbourne 3 times last year alone. This year she has been invited to present at the annual GP conference in New Zealand, which in her books is certainly a step in the right direction, and hopes to present at a specialist CFS conference in Australia later in the year.
In 2014 she travelled to Australia to train the first ever Mickel Therapists and plans are underway for a practitioner training in New Zealand in the near future.
- ME/CFS is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Symptoms affect several body systems and may include weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or mental concentration, and insomnia, which can result in reduced participation in daily activities. ME/CFS is known by many other names such as Tapanui Flu, Yuppie Flu etc. http://www.anzmes.org.nz/
- At this time there is no specific “curative” treatment for this illness. http://www.anzmes.org.nz/what-is-me/
- Mickel Therapy, Meta Health, Moativational Medicine, Advanced Clearing Energetics, The Emotion Code are just some of the therapies developed over the last two decades which specialize in identification and resolution of physical illness without medication, all of which Knight has trained in. http://www.artofhealth.co.nz/p-health-modalities.htm